Growing kids need healthy snacks. We all know fruit and vegetable pieces are great, nutritious and fat free, but sometimes a sweet treat is what they really fancy! My secret is simple store cupboard ingredients with no nasty additives,strange fats or fillers and fortified bran flakes with added vitamins and fibre. These chocolate crispies are so easy to make, I knock them up in minutes, yes literally minutes! Or why not take your time and make them with the children’s help. They are perfect for after school treats, in packed lunches and picnics.
I am a bit of a just poor it in the pan by judgement girl with ingredients, but this is my approximate guide on quantities. Remember I cook on a large scale with eight in our family and extra to sell in reception for our holiday makers. You may want to scale this back!
400g Bran Flakes with added vitamins
250g Packet of Butter
350g granulated sugar
300g golden syrup
100g cocoa powder
1. Melt the sugar and butter in a large saucepan over a medium heat stirring until both are dissolved.
2. Reduce the heat and add the syrup then the cocoa powder and stir to a smooth liquid taking care not to boil the mixture.
3. Remove from heat add the bran flakes. Carefully stir to thoroughly coat all these.
4. Working swiftly while the mixture is still warm spoon into cup cake cases.
5. Chill in the fridge for about 15 minutes or at room temperature for 1/2 an hour.
Stored in an airtight container they will last up to a week if they have the chance!
The True Test
Here is what happens when my children come home from school and spot my chocolate crispies cooling!
If you have a spare 10 minutes, why not give them a go.
I am linking this post to The Gallery this week where the theme is food
“Tales from the farmers wife” shares life on our lovely holiday farm with Farmer Nick and our 6 children. Step into our beautiful 30 acres and experience nature close up with farming and educational crafts in stunning North Cornwall. Family, fun and adventure start here.