Last week our fridge freezer failed. The fridge froze ands the freezer began to defrost. With a large family and a spare freezer I managed to use or save most things, however in the bottom of the fridge were 4 frozen lemons, ready for my evening Gin a Tonics. Not that I need that many you understand but they were on a deal. Anyway it wasn’t much of a bargain when they were all frozen solid and I was scratching my head as to how to do anything but throw them out when inspiration struck. I had a recipe I use for orange cake that involves boiling the whole oranges so I thought I would try adapting it to make a lemon cake and am pleased to report it worked perfectly.
About this cake
This cake is ideal for any celiac as it contains no flour, it is also free from butter, oils or margarine and packed with goodness. The texture is so soft and moist it is best eaten as a desert with a spoon when cooked as a whole cake, though I also made some little cup cakes which the kids enjoyed in their packed lunches. I would recommend storing it in the fridge where it will keep happily for a week. Unlike most cakes, just placing it in an airtight container will only keep it fresh for a couple of days.
4 whole lemons washed
300g granulated sugar
6 eggs separated
200g ground almonds
1 teaspoon baking powder
1. Boil the lemons for an hour, no need to freeze first!
2.Whisk the egg whites till it holds in fluffy peaks.
3. Drain and Liquidize the whole lemons
4. Mix the egg yolks, almonds, sugar and baking powder into the liquidized lemons.
5. Fold in the egg whites
6. Transfer to a 9 inch / 20cm greased or lined cake tin or smaller and fill some cup cases as I did. You can fill to close to the top as the mixture tends to set where it is rather than rise with the folded egg whites providing the lightness to the cake.
7. Bake in a preheated oven 180 degrees for about an hour for a large cake and about 15 minutes for cup cakes till the middle feels just firm to touch. I covered the large cake with foil to prevent the top from burning.
8. Leave to cool.
Turn out and dust the cakes with icing sugar.
To make a delicious desert out of the larger cake boil 200ml of water with 100g granulated sugar and reduce. Remove from the heat and squeeze in juice of 1 lemon and a few drops of vanilla essence. Stir in a spoonful of golden syrup and drizzle over the top with a good dollop of whipped cream or greek yogurt.
“Tales from the farmers wife” shares the funny and interesting happenings on our lovely holiday farm with Farmer Nick and our 6 children. A behind the scenes look on balancing family, farming, the holiday business and cooking for all.
Rockfish, a British brand, is the new cool affordable luxury wellington, based in cornwall, Rockfish combine style & on trend colours for women in both fitted, standard, and extra calf width, not to mention exceedingly comfortable underfoot.